19 August 2007

Family times

So here I am again. Overdue with the blogging, quite so. Since I am so far behind, I still need to start from the beginning of my absence. For the Fourth of July weekend/week, I was on the East Coast (Hopkinton, NH and Cape Cod, MA) visiting with family. The primary focus was the celebration of my Great Uncle Larry's birthday (80 years). Above is picture of some of my family. Actually I realized I only took pictures of this circle quite often. How can I not, they are so entertaining. This is my Uncle Pete. You got to love him. Always posing for the perfect shots. I am not sure what he is doing in this picture but always makes me smile. :) It is fun to listen to all of the stories he tells. A storyteller in many sense. Also, shocked that after all of these years, he did not want to take a drive with me. Hmm.... At least a few of my friends have braved the driving with me and came out with no harm, at least none that I know of... and this was driving in LA.This is the reason for my poor representation of the family at large. My cousin, Maya, and I seemed to go on this photo frenzy of each other. My aunt, Priscilla, Maya's mother, is sitting next to her. They are from Brooklyn. And I will be seeing them tomorrow in Maibu! Hurrah!!
This is a better picture of Maya that I have without a camera nearby. She is my youngest cousin in the immediate family not including cousins once, twice, third times removed and so on. Twelve years apart.
The celebration/reunion was spent in Cape Cod. Otherwise I spent the rest of my holiday in the woods of New Hampshire at the family cabin. Very quaint and a perfect place to get away, especially from the crazed scene of LA proper.
I actually got to sleep out on the screened porch on night. The rest of the nights my parents were sleeping out here. I had to really "fight" for the opportunity. Because who would not want to sleep out here being lulled to sleep with the calm waters moving about on Rolph Pond and the bull frogs croaking, and the snakes slithering through the waters. And waking up to the chorus of birds and fishes jumping with the morning or evening sun.
The family cabin sits right on Rolph pond. Amidst the glorious woods that carries their voices around and all over with the breezes blowing through, speaking in the different words of centuries of living and seeing. Sometimes it amazes me what the trees do live through. This is an area that the trees are old enough to talk about the events during the Revolutionary times and war, when this country of America was just beginning. And yet even older to recall earlier times with the existing natives of these lands living with the earth as one. If only I could understand their words; only in my dreams do they truly speak out.
Ah, yes the traditional food of New England. I do not eat these creatures because I have a food reaction to seafood/fish. But they are cute. And of course some vegetarians are probably come after me about animal cruelty. As lobster are cooked rather cruelly if one thinks about it. They are boiled alive which becomes their death. Poor guys. I heard they are yummy.
This is my favorite licence plate in all of the United States. "LIVE FREE OR DIE!" Good motto. And as my dad considers one of its kind. Because the Ol' Man in the Mountain on the plate if one can see it, does not exist anymore. He fell to his demise when the rocks finally gave way. Poor guy. Hint: By the way Ol' Man is the image of a man's face on the side of the granite wall, if you are having a hard time deciphering who Ol' Man is.
Ah, more family time. Did I not tell you, my Uncle Pete is quite the storyteller. What amazing stories he must be telling right now as he points to some object of fascination. Stories are already being created in my mind. My Aunt Barbara is also shown here (the one closest to the photographer, me). She and Pete live in Maine. And the other two are of course my parents. Need I say anything more of my parents who are the wild adventurers of the globe trotters. Distance lands call them all the way from Thailand. Where to next, I often wonder.
The reason for the picnic was because we attended the concert on the green in Manchester Vermont with the Vermont Symphony Orchestra. They were playing some incredible pieces. And ended with the 1812 Overture and fireworks going off. Very impressive, especially with the sounds echoing in the valley and off the mountains. (There is a continued debate as to whether the mountains in New England are really mountains anymore but instead hills.) Mountains or no, there is ancient history that lives and breathes through the woods and mountains. One can feel it. And if you listen, you will hear them. Sounds silly? Just go and spend a few days in the wilderness of North New Hampshire or even in Maine. Look at all the books by the New England naturalists. One of their kind.
And so here I spent a few days with much laughter, stories, and adventures that only can be had with family. I now wish I could have stayed longer to soak in the environment of nature some more. I definitely needed it when I returned back to LA. Since my return work has been a bit crazy with low staff ratios that makes work a bit difficult at times among other events of the going ons at work. And then coming down with the nasty cold that is spreading like wildfire around LA. I think I was especially knocked hardest just because I am a foreigner to this part of California and not used to the bugs that go around just yet. Ah well. I still have a few adventures since returning to tell for another time.

6 comments:

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Breath-taking! I can't believe how similar our cottages look! The screened-in porch overlooking the lake below! How cool! I love sleeping on the porch, too! You have such a huge family! And so adventurous! Love you! Rachel

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

BTW, that last picture is spectacular! BRAVA!

Gipsy Ing said...

Raw Kale,
Cute name (I read about in on your blog). Yes, I have a rather large family because I seem to include the extended relatives as well and that always fun to have all of these relatives everywhere. Brad (my boss) and I know we are related and not even going to bother trying to confirm it because to us, it is so OBVIOUS. Sometimes when you meet a distant relative, you just know that you are related through blood. We can feel it.
I think that it is interesting that our cottages look so alike... I am assuming you are refering to the one that Ruth talks about and did they have their reunion at that cottage for the Fourth of July weekend?

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

That's so funny about you and Brad!!!

Yes, the cottage is the same as in Aunt Ruth's blogs.

Are you interested in reading a book together? I want to read a book called Seth Speaks, and thought it would be fun to read it with someone so we could discuss it.

Gipsy Ing said...

Who is the author of Seth Speaks? I am trying to find in at one of the local libraries online.

Libraries are interesting around here in the sense they are many and very small. Most do not have a large selection of books because it is all based on donations from the public. Seems ironic for LA since it is so large. But I have noticed the value of reading and books are not rated high among most LAers. There are very few bookstores as well... local bookstores (both new and used). The bookstores that do exist are the chain ones: Borders and Barnes and Noble.

I am already sort of on a quest for one book that I did find at the library and was so moved by the thoughts, ideas and such, I decided to invest in the money to buy a copy for it. But I am refusing to resort to the above mentioned chains.

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Pardon me for taking so long to respond to this!!!

Seth Speaks: the Eternal Validity of the Soul by Jane Roberts

I found it in Hayden Stacks!
BF1301.R595

It is also on Ebay:) I'm going to check it out today, so let me know when you get yours and we can start reading it together!!!