24 June 2007

Topanga State Park Hike

Kristy, one of my coworkers and I went on a hike today at the Topanga State Park. It is not very far north of Santa Monica. Probably about a 40 minute drive (the same to my Abalone Cove). In reality I am not that far from the border of LA to the North. I am not really in the heart of LA, which is a good thing. Somehow knowing I can get out of the city in rather a short span of time (considering LA traffic) is very reassuring to me. The park is located in the Santa Monica Mountains (hem). I do not know if one really would consider the hills mountains but hey. And in the Pacific Palisades. We were hiking around among the canyon area. Our hike included a waterfall in a loop trail covering a distance of 2.6 miles.
The trail started in the canyon and we made our way up. It was not a bad trek at all. Many people traverse this trail often. It is very dusty though. Probably due to lack of rain fall and we just entered into the dry season. There really is some serious drought issues around here.
Bridge over creek.
And here is the waterfall. Yes, there is a waterfall. Just a trickle coming down off of the green plants. This is fairly serious. I saw a picture of what the waterfall looks like in full flow. Drastic change from cascading water over rocks to a steady trickle. It is evident that the water flow has not been in full flow for many many many moons. Dusty creek beds.
After the waterfall, the trail started to incline rapidly again till we started coming to the ridge of this canyon.
The fog started coming back in again from off the ocean. It was a great day for a hike especially since we were doing it about lunch time. Warm out but by this point, often breezes from the ocean coming in to keep us cool.
At this vantage point, we are looking down at the houses and the ocean is right there too but obviously hidden from view.
This is looking south toward LA. Really it is not this foggy where we are but the way the camera took the picture. There was blue patches of sky overhead. We could not figure out what the light was. I think it is from LAX airport. But kind of fun to see nothing expect for this glowing light.
From there we started a decline back into the canyon.
It was a good hike. Got me hooked again. A passion for more hiking.

5 comments:

JoAnn said...

Interesting pictures, lots of fog, looks like a nice hike and for sure a good day for it. The bitterfly was so pretty. I'd call them hills too, for me mountains have to be snow covered. Looks like you had a very busy weekend. I love your travel log. Mom

Gipsy Ing said...

yes, it was a good day for a hike. Summer is definately here now and starting to get hot. But the evenings are nice after dusk.

Unknown said...

Ingrid,

Swede and I are leaving Utah for California today. We are heading up to Oregon and Washington during this next week, and will be coming back down the coast to get home. So be expecting a phone call from us soon:)

Love, Rachel

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Uh oh! Ingrid, have you given up blogging? You create such beautiful entries! I am back online now:) Thank you so much for taking us to THE SPOT! It was so fun to have you drive us! I loved it when you said: "If you don't know what you're doing, there is always someone who will let you know!" That is one of my all-time favorite quotes ever! Love you:)

Gipsy Ing said...

Rachel,
No, I have not given up yet on blogging. Have had to postpone for a bit since for the past month since work has been exausting to say the least (not because of work load or classes but because of very short staff ratios--long story) and now just recovering from a very bad cold that pretty much had me down and out for the past week or so and now just recovering. Still went into work because of the staff situation but I got to "take it easy" with just supervising and no classes to do.
But meanwhile I have several blogs to do now to catch up on. Will start tomorrow as tonight I am wiped out from my day long trip up to Pasadena playing, attending a Autism Conference, and help hosting a drum circle at a AIDS retreat for the participants there.
I am glad that I got to see all of you just for a short bit and bring you to The Spot. Love you.