23 March 2008

Butcher Jones Trail

I spent the rather warm (upper 80s) Easter day to the mountains. Specifically, I hiked Butcher Jones Trail nestled along parts of Saguaro Lake, which has been created by the Salt River projects (dams and thus water for the valley). In the backdrop of this picture is the famous Four Peaks. While the Four Peaks was not my destination, it was one of the visible landmarks for my hike.
I parked my car at the Butcher Jones recreation site where it was full of large family gatherings for the Easter day. Fortunately the trail leaves the picnic sites and leads along some beautiful scenic spots overlooking the lake, desert, and vistas. I will pause for a moment in telling the story of Butcher Jones. As I am told, the nickname "Butcher" is a joke. W.W. Jones was a rancher and a doctor who had cattle in these parts spreading from the Salt River (upper Scottsdale/Mesa) to the Four Peaks wilderness area during the late 19 century. A rather large area covering thousands of areas. It is astounding to me to have the cattle grazing in the desert as the vegetation seems not to offer a lot for cattle. It's a desert! What do they eat?Not too far into the hike, there is a short detour (.1 miles) that visits a dry waterfall. This is where the water would be coming out (the V shaped rock, yellow rock). As I was walking the dry beds to the waterfall, it is apparent that water has not flowed for some time now (years?). As one continues the hike, the trail still follows the meandering shoreline rising higher and higher along the cliffs. The slopes are exposed and abundance of wildflowers are seen amidst the desert scape. I saw more varieties and colors of flowers than on South Mountain. Yellows and blues are still the dominate color but there were white, orange, and pink contrasts to be seen.During the hike, there were some panoramic views of the lake and cliffs. Saguaro Lake is an oddly shaped lake following the rugged cliffs in and out of coves. For the next mile and half or so, the trail left the lake and started into the desert terrain. So I was able to leave the noises of loud boats and people for a bit. I realize that sound travels far in the desert. So I could hear many things, mostly boat traffic.
So began the next segment of the hike. Even being in the desert, there is a lot of changes of vegetation and scenery in a short span of time. The trail becomes a little more rugged and less maintained. The cactus and shrubs extend often over the trail and sometimes the trail encroaches the vegetation. It is apparent that the wilds of nature is taking back the trail. I have small scratches on my arms and legs to prove it.

And then when rising over the crest of a large hill, another part of the lake comes into view with the sweeping views of Four Peaks and the wilderness area. Turkey vultures were my steady companions. I saw them often during my hike flying low and than out circling with sometimes four in the same area.

And thus concluded my hiking destination. The trail took one to Burro Cove with a vista overlooking the splendors. There is a trail that continues along the shoreline but one needs to become a bushwhacker extraordinaire to continue this journey. As it was 2pm and temps well into the 80s, it was time to take savor the scenery, hydrate the body with plenty of fluids and foods and then head back. The trail length to Burro Cove is 2.6 miles.

On my return hike back, I stopped at a rather secluded cove. I took off my hiking boots and sweaty socks and soaked my feet in the cold waters. It was nice to sit a spell even with a entsy bit of shade to enjoy.

It is nice to know that the desert splendors among the mountains are so close considering locations. And one can quickly leave the traces of city scape behind. To get away and be on desert time.

No comments: