27 March 2008

Huge Chuckwalla Lizard

Ok, this is getting unreal. I guess there was a point when the Park ranger said that Camelback Mountain is popular for chuckwallas. I went again this morning and on my way back down when the temperatures were on the rise baking the East facing side, I had hit one of those tricky passes where it is downhill gravel (this is where mountain goat maneuvers come in handy...). I had successfully made it down the passage and stopped. I started thinking now if I was a lizard this is where I would be hanging out. I am starting to pick out good lizard sun rocks. So I started to slowly scan the rocks and What??? I see this huge chuckwalla (pictured above) on the rocks above me right along the gravel side. Since I was concentrating so keenly on getting no scraped knees and bruises I did not even notice this guy two feet away from me.
Hot digity dang! This guy is huge. And it is a male by the way. Males have red on their back. Females are just one shade of lizard grey color. And the female was below me hiding under a rock. I clearly scared her with my "ooos and ahhs" and flashing my camera around.

A father and his daughter (about 5 or 6 years) came up the trail. I showed them the sighting. The girl let out a scream. And telling her daddy she wanted to go home. Oh dear. I told her that the lizards were more scared of her and would not attack her. Poor girl. I felt bad that fear was the immediate emotion and not awe.

By the way, yes I spotted a snake. Did not take a picture as it quickly slithered under a rock. The tail was showing a bit and I studied that... no visible signs of rattles. I am pretty confident it was not a rattler. But regardless, I left it alone.

And now that chuckwallas are so popular on my camelback outings. No more pictures. That is unless I find one over a foot or so. I wonder if they get that big.

3 comments:

JoAnn said...

WOW!!!!!!What a great sighting! I want to come see those lizards, they look soooooo cool! Looks like a really nice place to hike too.
Good photos! More please!
M:)

Gipsy Ing said...

haha!!
They are even cooler in "person" than in photos. I could spend all day following them around or even better sit next to them and bask in the sun along with them.

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Just wanted to let you know I am still alive, just busy. I'll be back soon:D