17 July 2008

Bryce National Park

After leaving Kanab the next morning, I pretty much spent most of the day in Bryce National Park. I had been to Zion but not Bryce. In some ways not what I had expected. To be on the ridge line rather than through the canyons. However, one can go through the canyons by foot but need a permit do that. And of course, think this is the better option anyway. I also did not expect with the high altitude of 9000 some feet that there were going to be trees. This turned out to be a pleasant surprise.
I took a hike on the Bristlecone loop trail, which the first couple of pictures were taken. Nice vantage points. It was an overcast day with showers and in the distance thunder and lightning. Not so fun because the contrasts of the colors on the rocks were dull than with sunshine.
Yes, I got close to the edge. And I took my own photos. The above photo is of the Natural Bridge in BNP.

The sun finally peaked through after several hours giving more of a contrast that I wanted. This is a special spot where the formations are call hoodoos. The special way the rocks have been formed over centuries and like everything, hoodoos are not static so will continue to evolve and crumble away.
The vistas were incredible looking far off into the horizon.So I spent several hours of walking and looking and made myself lunch up there. Then meandered on my way up North of Marysville to camp out for the night.

2 comments:

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Now this post speaks to me volumes- the hoodoos do anyway. The steepness reminds me too much of our hike over the front face of Timpanogos. My stomach is lost just looking at these pictures!!!

Gipsy Ing said...

Ah dear, Rachel. Sorry to have upset your stomach. However, I think that the steepness of the canyons in Bryce do not quite so much compare to the face of Timpanogos.