23 June 2007

Beauty and the Beach

Yep, this is what I did this morning till lunch time. It was quite the event. The beach cleanup was hosted right at the small beach here at El Segundo.


The group that turned out were mainly families with their kids. So a lot of kids and grown-ups. We all got a free t-shirt. Free water and free snack bars. Looking back, I should have helped myself to more fruit bars. Next time. We stood around for some time, I was early showing up. I was ready just to go and start picking up trash and not have to wait for the formalities. While we were waiting, I met another woman, Susan, there. We started talking.


Finally when the hosts were ready to send us off. They gave a safety speech. No touching needles or syringes. If found notify the Lifeguard on the beach... they have a special procedure and kits to handle the needles and such. Also, notify the lifeguard if weapons are found or any dead animals. Then we had to split in groups of five. Honestly, I thought that was sort of lame to follow others because I know my pace probably will not match others in my careful, thorough collecting of trash. But the reason given for such collective groups were because some people had gotten lost last year. Susan and I looked up and down the beach, and looked at each other and laughed. How can anyone get lost on a beach? Especially this beach? Ah dear.

Susan and I ended being on one team. It was quite obvious that the two other ladies were not exactly being thorough with their work. Susan and I were. There was a guy with us too. So as time went on, Susan and I had a bag each for our trash. The guy stayed with us and the two ladies went off by themselves. We each had one glove and a tool that acted like extended fingers to pick up the trash. Actually, this beach in El Segundo is not littered with trash. The reason due mainly because it is not near a storm drain. Most of the trash is from the storm drains, sewers, and such that come out of the city. So most of the trash were these little bits of plastics, Styrofoams, and plastic bottle rings.

Well us three ended up being the last out picking trash out of the nearly 100 people who came. I think it is safe to say that we were passionate about our mission. Sadly there is still trash still on the beach and we could not just say no. So while everyone else were eating this lunch that was part of the celebration, we were still out scouring the sands. It was a great day for surfing and these surfer guys came by and said, "Whoa, you rock! Thanks for picking up the trash."


We did get some lunch and plenty to drink. The sun came out and was rather hot. I had 30 Sunscreen on, sunglasses, and a hat. Also for part of the event, the kids got to enter into an art contest. Whoever drew the most creative marine life won the prize and had their picture on the shirts we all received. A good way to get the kids involved and more mindful of a better environment.


And by the way, when I called to get more information about this cleanup last night, I left a message on the answering machine for the program. For some odd reason I said, "I am looking to join the beauty pagent tomorrow." Oh dear. Whoever will hear the message will probably get a kick out of it.

2 comments:

JoAnn said...

Love the surf picture! Good work on the beach cleanup, wish everyone cared about this beautiful bluewater planet as much as you do, it's the only home we have, we need to treat it with loving care. Mom

Gipsy Ing said...

I guess all we can do is the best we can for our care and love of our lives and the places we live in.
I joined Heal the Bay and they have a whole listing of beach clean ups and such along the Santa Monica Bay.
Kristy said she would like to help too.