12 June 2007

Tole Mour

Now we are talking! This is the kind of boat or rather ship I like seeing! The able crew were tying things down and I could see many more of them running to and fro with the immediate chores of bringing the ship out to water. What adventures! I was ready to jump into the water and swim to Tole Mour and sign on as an abled crew member. Of course I do not have any skills or knowledge of navigating or working on such ships. But the joy of seeing it was joy enough.

I was again in Long Beach on Saturday for an event that will later be a blog for another day. But part of the day was spent at the vast harbor of Long Beach. I am thinking this is the biggest harbor in Los Angeles. "My" beach cities are just that... beaches with the exception of Redondo sporting a small harbor (King Harbor) with mainly yachts and powerboats. However, Long Beach has a long history of navy days and oil days so hence the presence of ships, Cruise ships, ferries, freighters, barges, and of course the yachts, sailing boats, powerboats, you name it, it is probably here.

This looks more like a gypsy boat. Something right out of the far east.

I know I have mentioned some of the sights earlier of Long Beach, like the big barges, freighters, and islands. Here is an example. An island in the distance with Palm trees and buildings. The the cargo ships sitting dotting the horizon. I do not know if one can really tell but past the breakers (rock barrier) the ocean is actually red. From red algae and pollution. Red tide I am sure. Not a pretty sight. And would not be wanting to eat the fish caught by the fishermen on the docks from this area.
Looking towards San Pedro, the stretch of miles of the hold for cargo, freighters, ferries to unload and load. The semi-trucks are also seen to transport the cargo once ashore to the different areas. But back where I was, an area just for smaller boats, plank ways, shops, and a walk way following the shoreline for the most part. I enjoyed my lunch watching the ships and boats roll by, the pelicans and seagulls all busy with the mid-day rush hour. I think in a ferry boat the passengers were throwing food to the seagulls creating a mass of wings.
And so another busy day at the Long Beach Marina.

4 comments:

Wayfarer 2oo said...

Looks like a busy, interesting scene, Ing ... so where do the ferries go? Might that be an exploration one day? Look forward to more - can almost picture being there!

Gipsy Ing said...

A comment from Dad??? I thought you were having a strike against writing comments for the mass cyberspace. :)
It is a rather busy and interesting scene with a lot going on. The ferries (big ones) go to Catalina Island, which I want to go some weekend to camp. The other ferries, like the last one in this blog go back and forth from LB Marina to Naples. Another place worth exploring as they have the canal boats (perhaps similar to what Mom and I saw in Bath).

JoAnn said...

Hi Ing,

That gypsy boat looks like a converted Thai fishing boat. Nice boat pictures :)

Gipsy Ing said...

Really? A Thai fishing boat? How very interesting. Perhaps I should go back and find out what it really is.