05 September 2007

Coastal Ventures

I had a very special Labor Day weekend. Special because in many ways it was not planned until the last moment, up to a few days prior to Friday. Then again in many ways as life has it way, perhaps it was planned all along. So before I commence telling of the story, I will start from the beginning. As Labor Day weekend was approaching, I knew I wanted to get away to do something different than stay in LA for my three day holiday. As I thought about what possibilities I could do ranging from up in the mountains surrounding LA from the North or the deserts or the coast. As you can imagine, coast sounds better just because it has been so hot. I set my sights to the coastal north of LA. Where? Hmm... a plan never formulated. Why? Because I knew I was going somewhere but something told me to wait it out like something or someone will come. And indeed I actually told my co-workers I was leaving town for a destination yet to be revealed to me. So I waited and up to the last few days prior to the weekend was starting to wonder what I was waiting for. Was my little voice playing tricks on me? Come Wednesday evening I get a unbelievable surprise. One of my friends, Rachel, said that she and Swede were coming to California for the weekend to go adventuring up the coast to Carmel and the surrounding area. Believe me my roommates could hear me for miles if they were not in the house hearing me jumping around with glee and joy. So my inner voice was right. In fact I was thinking the voice was disappearing of sorts since being here in LA. LA is definitely not conducive to my lifestyle. But the fact that the voice is still there and at least I am hearing it makes me feel relieved.

And so now begins my tale. My friends arrived en route to our destination from Tempe Friday evening. We drive up to Salinas to stay overnight with a friend of Rachel's. We probably did not get there until sometime right after 1am but we had left my house a bit after 7pm and even had some LA traffic so I thought that was pretty good time.
We spent all of Saturday in Carmel. What a pretty little place. The main attraction besides our superb breakfast with kathy cakes at the Cottage and the ocean, was The Secret Garden and The Pilgrim's way. First, I start with the Secret Garden which is right behind The Pilgrim's Way through an alley. The Secret Garden is exactly such, a secret garden that offers many visual and auditory pleasures. Different plants, figurines, and gifts are present in this semi-outdoor garden.
This picture was actually taken outside of the Secret Garden along the flower beds of the street. But pretty nevertheless. I like the yellow with the green stripes. The secret garden had a lot of succulents but also plants like bamboo and flower plants that looked exotic.
One may not see it very well but this is the view of the place from the streets. The sign says Pilgrim's Way Books. And that is where we spent a significant portion of our time in Carmel. Who would not, thinks I. Books, books, books. Swede and Rachel may not know this but I put real restraint on myself but made dozens of mental notes of titles and authors. It is my kind of bookstore and worth the miles to drive up to visit it. Like a pilgrimage in a way.
And then we spent the rest of the afternoon and early evening at the beach in Carmel. We found a quiet spot overlooking this quiet, small bay. Our time was spent reading, Swede playing his guitar, talking, beachcombing, running, and making sand art. Perfect! We sat by this big Cyprus tree which it's roots were unfortunately giving way because of the sand erosion. However, I am sure the beautiful Cyprus was happy to have us for company close by.
We returned while the sun was setting. So beautiful and the smells just glorious, especially with the eucalyptus trees. We then went to the store to get salad fixings and wine to bring back to the beach with our blankets and enjoy dinner and discussion out on the beach. We went to a different beach that was quite open and a group of folks offered their dying campfire when they were leaving. So we had some warmth of a fire and the beach. Beautiful evening with the stars so bright and the milky way and then the moon rising to cast the glow on the waves, water, and sand. I even saw a shooting star, which is something that I have not seen in a long time (partly because the city lights do not do justice for star gazing). And now looking back, hmm, I did not make a wish or maybe I did but just do not know it. I think I will remember that evening for a long, long time. Swede had said something that this is the way life should be with friends around the fire, out with nature, and sharing time together. Rachel then says, "No, this is the way life is." And so very true. Blessings in every way. Rachel went to sleep while Swede and I stayed up till midnight talking. Now there is another part of the story of how our evening ended but honestly, to write it here will take too long. I still laugh just thinking of the events that transpired. For those who want to know, ask me personally and I will tell you. hehe
Come Sunday, we start to drive down the coast on the famous Pacific Coast Highway 1. So I got to see the glorious coastline of Big Sur once again. And come to think of it, probably one of the most beautiful coastlines I have ever experienced. There are some places in Washington/BC/UK that come close. There are no words to express such scenery and the feelings in my heart. All I can do is just soak it in. Each time I pass through I come away a new person.
The ocean so vast here with brilliant colors of blues and the shimmering water. The rugged coastline like never seen before. Even just looking at the above picture, I can lose myself all over again and in the process start to rediscover myself.
We continued to have fun as we camped out at Pismo State Beach and continued our journey down PCH 1. We stayed at Refugio State Beach to spend a few hours reading, Swede playing his guitar, and enjoying the beach.

It was quite the extraordinary weekend. One I will treasure for a very long time. So very perfect to spend some time with two very dear friends on a coastal venture like this. Pure bliss.

6 comments:

JoAnn said...

Well Gipsing, you have done it again, another beautifully photographed and interesting tale of a weekend in paradise.
What a serendipitous weekend you had, but then, as you said, maybe wasn't so accidental, was just meant to happen with good vibes floating your way.
Love you my dear, Mom

Gipsy Ing said...

Hi Mom!
Long time no see on blogger world. I am happy that you left a cyberspace message. hehe
Glad you enjoyed the story and photos. Just think, even with the photos turning out wonderfully, it does not do the justice of the real thing. But nice to have the image to recall the sights.

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Ingrid, good job getting it posted so quickly. I will probably be a week more before I can get mine up.

Such sweet memories, especially when heard told by you:)))

How about 20 pages a day of Seth Speaks? That's realistic, no?

I haven't even looked at my pictures, yet! Your blog is making me want to do that. But, we've got Wyatt and Beannie and Jeff here now, so making the most of time with family and friends.

Gipsy Ing said...

Hi Rachel, sounds like fun with the family and friends around. I think 20 pages a day should do it. I started reading it and then realized I may want to use some pencil and paper to jot down ideas as I read through the book. Seth gets down to business, no dallying around!
Actually happy that I got the blog on when I did as I have been suddenly busy. But good all the same.

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Yes, I agree, Seth really is getting down to business. I have read the intro and am on page 9. It's going to be a fun read, it seems! So glad to be sharing it with you. I wonder if we should create a Seth blog together and post our favorite quotes and comment there together??? I can get the ball rolling on that if you think it would be nice to have a book circle on line. Perhaps more and more people would get involved. I love reading and discussing- especially in the written form. I communicate so much more expressively on paper. Don't know why that is...

Gipsy Ing said...

It may be good to have an online discussion. I was thinking today just how to do it (share the ideas and thougths we come accross during the book read) in a more free yet organized fashion. So the blog will definately work.