22 September 2007

Storm Day

Ah, another storm day. I went back to the ocean today to take a walk from Manhattan Beach to El Segundo. El Segundo had a street faire with crafts, handmade objects, art, clothing, food, along with entertainment. While on my walk there which is a little over a mile and half, I took pictures and enjoyed the changing dramatic scenery. It rained but not very much. Soft drops. This above picture is of Manhattan Pier (the red roofed aquarium at the end). The blue in the way backdrop (between the end of Palos Verdes and the pier) is Catalina Island. There are white clouds sitting on the top. :)
This picture is looking South, yes South, towards Redondo Beach and the rest of the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Reason for the low visibility? RAIN!! They are sure getting a soakin'. I seemed to be in the perfect location as even though it rather rained lightly, I was hardly wet. And I was even hot with my long sleeve shirt and sweatshirt.
And this is looking North. Wow!! Could not see Santa Monica or the Santa Monica Mountains. Actually, I did wake up during the night. I had thought coming out of my dream state that the airplane was so loud and so unusually close. But realized it must have been a thunderous thunderclap and roll. Happened only once to my knowledge.
The previous series of photos is what I saw out on the beach (two of them). This one at the El Segundo beach. On the normal day this trench is covered over by sand; never knew it existed. Now I understand why there is a crisis beach clean - up after storms. The beach is littered with more trash than usual, especially congregating around these outlets that open up during storms. I was not prepared today but definitely will be in the future--to clean up that rubbish! Maybe a good idea I was not out in my tent (that I do not even possess for that matter), because I may have unwittingly placed myself about these outlets. And whoosh, away I go out to sea! I am starting to laugh just thinking about it. Ah dear.


And yes, by the time I reached El Segundo, sunny sunny--with the exception of the North and South areas.
And so was the day out on the LA coast. I saw a hawk (peregrine Falcon-do they actually exist in these parts?) flying with a fish in its talons and a score of seagulls in pursuit. Did not have my camera handy for this glorious sight.

5 comments:

Wayfarer 2oo said...

What a wonderful treat, Ing, to be able to walk the coast - the sea and sky scapes are so alluring. Thanks for the narrated visuals - what a nice way to be transported.

Maybe osprey with fish?

Gipsy Ing said...

yes, Osprey! That's what it was. I knew I recognized it but just could not "identify it in names."

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

You are like the chicken in the animated movie we just saw last night, "Surf's Up." Oh my goodness, this movie was such a treat. We haven't been to a real movie in ages, and since it was showing at the dollar theater, we took a gamble.

It's really cute- I bet your little friend you walk by everyday would love it!

Gipsy Ing said...

Ah! So I need to see Surf's Up! It has been recommended by some other people I know so.... :)

Book Circle Blog said...

yep, it's a feel goody!