16 September 2007

Watching the River Run

The rivers in my life. I am drawn to the waters ever taking them in with my senses, and ever pausing to listen, listen, listen...

There is a song, "Watching the River Run,"
that I call the song of father/daughter (namely my dad and I). I grew up with this song starting as a baby with the song sung to me like a lullaby. The song continued to be sung as I got older. And it continues to be sung even though Dad and I are miles apart in the physical sense but rather the song continues whenever we cherish the moments together in our hearts and spirit. For every time I pass a river, every time the words are sung on a breeze, they celebrate the love between father and daughter.

WATCHING THE RIVER RUN

If you've been thinking

You're all that you've got,

Then don't feel alone anymore,

'Cause when we're together,

Then you've got a lot,

For I am the river

And you are the shore. And it goes on and on,

Watching the river run,

Further and further

From things that we've done

Leaving them one by one

And we have just begun

Watching the river run;

List'ning and learning

And yearning;

Run, river, run.
Winding and turning

And dancing along,

We passed by the old willow tree,

Where friends embrace
As we sing them our song,

Rejoicing together

As we greet the sea.
And it goes on and on,

Watching the river run,

Further and further

From things that we've done

Leaving them one by one

And we have just begun

Watching the river run;

List'ning and learning

And yearning;

Run, river, run.
And it goes on and on,

Watching the river run,

Further and further

From things that we've done

Leaving them one by one

And we have just begun

Watching the river run;

List'ning and learning

And yearning;

Run, river, run.
One can also listen to a live recording from YouTube to get an idea of the flow of the song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyIZXB1aJEM&NR=1


The song is written by Loggins and Messina"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

A River Runs through It; written by Norman Maclean.

5 comments:

Wayfarer 2oo said...

Thanks, Ing - you know how much I enjoyed this blog, I'm sure. I think you need to figure out a harp accompaniament for it.
Love
W2oo

Gipsy Ing said...

Good idea about the harp accompaniment. Ahh, creativity mission.

Glad you liked the blog. I had invisioned doing this for a Father's Day blog...blowing you out of the water so to speak with the lyrics and song. But then I wanted to be in person when you heard the song so postponed it.

And yes, Kern River. Goodness, another fave. But this one is more attuned to me with the connection to you.

But for some reason.... Johnny Cash?? You like like Johnny Cash?! This is news to me.

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

I imagine that you and your Dad were together when you took these pictures. What a special gift:)

Gipsy Ing said...

Actually, no, I realize that these pictures are not involved with Dad and I (but rather adventures with my Mom and I).

These pictures are taken in the Scottish highlands/coast, Bath and a place somewhere in England. All the trips I took with my dad (the big coastal SW English trek... we did not have a camera with us). Too bad! Incredible views and that trip so very memorable....hmm, gives me an idea...

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

That's exquisite, your father was with you in spirit:)

Can't wait to see what this idea is!