30 October 2007

Coastal Sunset

I have been here for eight months and have not viewed an entire sunset until tonight! I have been out at dusk by the coastal beach cities but not viewed a sunset like this one. Many times there are clouds on the horizon so not having the opportunity to see the sun dip down past the horizon. Come to think of all my days living by coastal waters (like the summer out at Kalaloch) I have few memories of the sunsets. Not because I was not there to view them, but some seem to capture hold more than others. And tonight was one. Not sure why. Just beautiful in its own way. A moment. Sometimes those moments stick out more than the others. So here.... enjoy, a glimpse of the moments I saw tonight.

2 comments:

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

How lovely! I love the shots with the birds! Thanks for sharing:D

Gipsy Ing said...

I notice something. I am sure I am not the first to notice. But the birds that you were seeing in the photos I took were the pelicans. It seems right at sunset (dusk) they come through in flocks of formation sometimes riding the crests of the waves (they like to surf too!). Just when the sun dips past the horizon, they start to dive into the water. It is pretty amazing. There is a flurry of activity with the other shorebirds as well. But most, like the seagulls seem to settle down on the sand for the night. It is very beautiful. Starts again at sunrise. A little ritual with the birds.

Also, when I arrived to the Hermosa pier, there were a group of people out, one had a drum, two some kind of horn, and two dancers. They were drumming, horning and dancing while the sun went down. When the sun did they stopped and the dancers started to bow. Sun worshipers??? :) It was interesting to see.