23 October 2007

Red October 23

This is what the sky has been looking like pretty much all day, getting redder as the day progressed. Unless one is without TV or newspaper or contact with the media world, this is the result of wildfires gone amok.

Overnight it had gone from a massive windstorm to waking up to find that one part of my world is ablaze. LA in my area is not blazing but I did see the fires from my local beach looking up to Malibu. And now I know several people from work/music therapy whose houses are within a five mile radius to some of the fires in Irvine and Anaheim hills. And the weekend getaway I went to just about a week ago and half ago? Reports of flames about 10 miles away from where I was at. This is the tip of the iceberg. I am not even beginning to mention the devastation in San Diego counties.

I have been pretty much staying indoors today. As a result from a decision when I took the ten minute walk from my house to work and back again. I had come down congested from the soot, smoke, and a bit of ash. And I am thinking gee, if it is bad here.....

Even though this is a natural occurrence of nature (however investigation to the start of the fires are being searched) and we may be awestruck by the power of nature, prayers are much needed. There will be thousands upon thousands of people picking up their lives from the ashes of their homes. Lives are changing right now as the realization of their homes do not exist, their livelihoods may likely not exist to the extent they had lived it. Their lives as they knew it changed forever. Bless them, pray for their safety and health.

6 comments:

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Thank you Ingrid for your compassion. I know it is so tragic, but sometimes our lives need this wake-up call... our entire race needs this wake-up call. We are living out of balance, and in time we are all sure to suffer the consequences. But, I appreciate your compassion, it reminds me not to be so rock-hearted. I need to work on opening my heart. Your post has helped me do that.

Also, I am making this film, as you probably know... and the fires have inspired a creating piece- I'd like to come out and get some footage of this smoke and devastation for my film... I would like to incorporate it. I am going to type up a proposal and send it to Swede today; I'll forward it to you for suggestions.

Gipsy Ing said...

Tell me how the film goes. It is so very vivid. I like it from what I read of the script. Is there more or just like that... a snapshot sort of time frame?

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Well, we just filmed, but forget to create an ending, so I am waiting for some inspiration! It is just supposed to be a little surreal so that Swede's music is brought to life and neither overpowers the other. The images are just beautiful, as the music and yet there is a little plot. A little love story.

Gipsy Ing said...

Where did you go to film this? Yes, indeed it is a little love story.

Very interesting, I hope to see it!

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

San Diego and the Rim.

Gipsy Ing said...

Ah! Perfect places. I had a feeling about San Diego but did not realize Grand Canyon... a lot of driving.

Will the film be in some kind of viewing availability when I come to visit next weekend? regardless of the completion of the film?