07 May 2007

Chinatown

Ah, the fiery dragons! During my wanderings of the El Pueblo plaza of Cinco de Mayo. I saw from across the streets that Chinatown was just there. Of course, could not let this opportunity pass. Chinatown in Los Angeles. It is amazing to see the differences in just the two ethnic communities I visited. They are neighbors, next to each other, side by side. The true American way.... a mixing salad of distinct cultures thrown in together. Mixing but also having their own distinct flavors, texture, and colors. Broadway Street is the main street through Chinatown. So most of the vendors, touristy stuff is on this main street. Here we are looking into the heart (background of picture) of LA --civic center plaza from Chinatown. Definitely more city feel with the speeding cars racing by. I did not exactly feel like I would be in a foreign country (like I did in the plaza of El Pueblo and down Olvera Street).But behold!! There are ethnic discoveries to be found. This shop, selling Buddhist merchandise, is located in one of the mall areas. Beautiful colored buildings with intricate designs.As one can see in this East Gate of the Central Plaza, not too many people walking about. (Probably all over celebrating Cinco de Mayo). It appeared that the folks who were out and about were the locals. As I noticed for El Pueblo with the majority of folks of Hispanic background, the majority of the folks I passed in Chinatown were from the "Far East" countries. And I noticed that I was "observed" more than the folks in El Pueblo.This is Ten Ho Temple. I did not spend too much time in Chinatown (about an hour and half) because one, it was later in the day and I was starting to feel spent from the fiesta of El Pueblo. But the primary reason, the aromas were intoxicating. People who know me well, know that I have an acute sense of smell. Incense was everywhere. I started sneezing and then got a headache and nausea especially coming from such overwhelming smells. This I thought was amazing because I was outside in a "well ventilated" space but yet I was experiencing the strong symptoms. Another reason why I did not go into many shops (just the grocery stores). But I feel Ten Ho Temple was the source of all intoxicating aromas. To be this close and that I did not faint to take the picture was rather unbelievable feat. But what a beautiful building! I wish I could have been able to go inside. It was open. But since my olfactory is so acute, aromas are very distinct to me. I smelled a lot of "new" things I have never smelled before in my life. I know I smelled marijuana from a few passerbys and some other nasty tobacco products. Major ick. My mom, hopefully half serious, said I probably smelled the opium dens as well. Goodness gracious! Maybe I should be hired by the police to smell out these nasty drugs. Oddly that night just when I got into bed some more aromas from the day came awashed over me. Very truly amazing. I had taken a shower and did not think that I would smell my clothes in the dirty hamper in the closet... but who knows.Is not this a beautiful mural? Aesthetics could be found here and there. Beauty in the simplicity of mundane, every day existence. Wabi Sabi. But yet so full of beauty and intricate character. Another noticeable thing about Chinatown. The amount of Ginseng roots. All the groceries sold them and the ginseng was in barrels and crates with varieties to select from. Food is very cheap. I got a bag full of tomatoes for a dollar (eight of them good sized romas). And then I got about five huge kiwis also for a dollar.
I would have liked to have gone to Japantown but that was on the other side of Civic Center of LA and it was already about 16oo hours. An adventure to be continued for another day. Japantown has a plaza like El Pueblo where it is only accessible by foot. My list of outings is starting to get larger and larger by the weekends. And only two days of the week to take advantage of such adventures. With the longer days, I may have to start doing some adventures after work during the evenings. We'll see.

10 comments:

JoAnn said...

I loved these pictures of Chinatown, especially the pink shop and the street scene with the lanterns, it reminds me of Thailand. The incense sounded overwhelming, I probably would have loved it but I know that Ing has an EXTRA sensitive nose, she needs a job where she can us it, like a wine maker or something. I can hardly wait for next weeks blog, where will the wayfarer be off to next?

Gipsy Ing said...

I know, I need to buy or find some kind of nose guard so I can explore the area further. Little Italy was not too far off according to the signs. Is not with the wine makers it is more for tasting than smelling? I do not know if my taste buds are up to the job.
Ah, the next adventure. Hard to decide! So much to choose from now!!
And thanks for writing the great comments. I love them! :)

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Would you believe that I have your post of Huntington Beach saved to my blog side bar, and so every time I clicked to see your blog, it kept showing the same thing. So I thought you hadn't posted anything new- but then, after several days, I finally solved the mystery!
This post reminds me of my trip to Malacca in Malaysia. I'll have to post my visit there on my blog so you can compare sights.
I love smells. Tonight I am going to my pottery class and will enjoy the smell of clay:)

Gipsy Ing said...

I am glad you solved the mystery and not have waited for a long time in wondering what happened to my blog. Rachel, you really have done some traveling in your time. I did not know you have been to Malaysia. That must have been an experience!
LA is experiencing a mini heat wave right now. Temperatures in the upper 90's. Everyone at work was complaining today about the heat. I wasn't. All I had to do was think of the heat in Arizona and count my blessings for 90 some degree heat plus a cool ocean breeze in the afternoon hours. But my house has no AC. That's a bit harder.... so open windows, screen doors, and fans. Oddly enough, we are one of the few houses in this block neighborhood without bars on the windows. I wonder why?

Wayfarer 2oo said...

Hey, this wayfarer blog is very cool. Too late in London to give a detailed de-blog but I think Rick Steves may have some budding competition. And I thought LA was a total washout - looks like some pretty interesting spots here and there! Keep up the great reporting, oh Gypsy queen, and spread the word - like to the L family website.

Gipsy Ing said...

Yea, Dad! Yes, I am having a great time with this now. Kind of an adventure to search the gems of Los Angeles. The latest is metro. Brad (program Director) is finding alternative ways to get to work via metro. Asked my help because I seem to have gained a new "label" as the crazy girl who walks everywhere or takes metro. Now I need to live up to my new reputation!!
Will spread the word to the East coast family. :)

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Yes, we are in the 90s now and the swamp cooler is on! Yes, keep the reputation upheld! You're a saint!

Gipsy Ing said...

At least it is still in the 90s.

I was so inspired by all of the metro talk today at work that I spent about an hour after work looking at routes, timetables, and maps. Mostly trying to plan a time schedule for Brad that will be more time efficient to commute to work. He may have to deal with about an hour trip which is not bad considering that freeways during rush hour can be as long as an hour and half if one is lucky. And he may just have to get up a wee bit earlier than 7:30 to expect to get to work by 8:30.

But the inspiration/passion for using alternative routes than by vehicle gave me an idea to do a blog on Metro of LA! I could spend an entire day documenting different sights by metro stops and meanwhile see places to go back to for an extended adventures.

JoAnn said...

Yes, do the metro ride and report, I'd love to see the sites from the train. Is it all above ground?

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

You could start a business, mapping out routes for people!