01 May 2007

The Way to Happiness



On Monday, I had to travel to Glendale (in LA). I was up there primarily to take the certification exam, which unfortunately I did not pass... Was disheartened by this since I was just shy of two questions of passing. It is a very hard exam for certification. However, even though my day was shadowed by this unfortunate turn of events, Glendale proved to be more of an extraordinary find than I originally even imagined. So of course, like any good story, start from the beginning.


There was NO way I was going to drive in LA traffic on the freeways or the main roads to reach Glendale. The way to get there was driving through downtown LA area which is quite the scene for traffic horrors at times. I used mass transportation which I love. If I live in a city and am not getting somewhere by foot, I much rather be hoping the bus, train or metro. Planning the route by Internet was a bit of challenge since all of the information for schedules were not up. So I had to best estimate it all and decided to get there early, early just in case connections failed and I need a plan B route of transport.


It is rather sad to see that not a majority of the folks around here use transportation. At 8am in the morning, the metro line was rather empty (half full of people). In a place like NYC or London, it would be crammed with folks. I also noticed the "type" of people who were taking the metro. No folks in business suits or professional atire. I guess the image of transport users are those who cannot afford to be driving all the time in fancy cars. And since part of the metro line ran right down the center of the I-105 Freeway, I was observing the cars on the freeway. Freeway was just crammed with cars. Carpool lane was rather bare. And the majority of the people in the cars consisted of one individual... the driver. There really needs to be a change. Oh later on the way back I passed the bus when riding the metro and it was empty during rush hour but still they were doing their routes. Hmmmm..... A change is definitely in order but as folks say around here.... cars are the culture.


Also, since I was riding the metro, I got to relax and view the neighborhoods that I passed through. Before going underground for the downtown LA area, the neighborhood drastically changed. Hawthorne, where I live, is considered a low-income suburbia. I would not consider it unsafe neighborhood but of course use precaution. So, the neighborhood, close to Chinatown gave an entire different view of what habitation in the city looked like. One almost has to be there to experience it. But everything was behind bars, big fences, houses were run down with bars in windows, cracked windows. And yet here were the locals milling about on their daily activities. Ladies with shopping carts filled with clothes and other possessions. Some ladies looked to be quite in a discussion outside of this "Poultry Barn." Warehouses were everywhere. Everything was "dirty." Nothing had a clean look to it.


But this was all to disappear once the line went underground. I had a transfer at 7th Street, which is famed for interesting characters. Basically the street is a big No, no for people after dark. I made my transfers smoothly without any hitch. And soon alighted Glendale station. Scenery had changed dramatically again. Just from the downtown lower side neighborhood, I was now surrounded by big hills and "mountains" in the distance. Vegetation was everywhere and was different.... Hardly saw a palm tree. But eucalyptus trees. Griffith Park flanked the west side of Glendale. I had to walk two miles to get my destination. But it was a good walk. The "town" within the city had a very nice atmosphere. I arrived to the downtown area. Beautiful. I sat for a bit at a table in a plaza. Locals were sitting around drinking coffee and chatting. I almost felt like I was in Europe. Definitely did not feel I was in LA at all! The pace was different too.


Since I had time before my test (three hours). I explored the area. It was very interesting. The place was vibrating good Karma feel. The feeling was so very, very strong. Then I came across a building (pictured above at the beginning of the post). I was drawn to the phrase and the building but did not go in (as later I wished I had). I then found a cafe right next to this building on the same block.

La Belle Cafe! All of the food was made from fresh, natural ingredients that the cafe owner made sometimes from scratch. I had a delicious sandwich with hummus for dip and a garnish salad. Delicious!! While I sat out and ate. I pondered on the feelings of positive energy I was feeling. I truly feel that there is some reason behind it. So I just basked in the glory of such feelings.
Later when talking to my dad that evening, he told me that the all famous Syliva Woods (harp store) is right in this town! I could not believe it! I was soo close and did not even realize it!! In fact I was on that same street the harp store is located!!! Goodness. To have only passed it, what joy. I probably would have been beside myself with complete utter amazement. But I am actually feeling that amazement anyway. This information sealed it... Glendale was/is sending me a message. Even though, I did not pass the exam this time, perhaps it served another purpose. In some ways perhaps I was meant to go to Glendale.
And so I am going to ponder it some more. But of course, another expedition to Glendale is in the making. I now know where Sylvia Woods harp store is located. I shall return. And of course visit the The Way to Happiness.

5 comments:

JoAnn said...

Glendale sounds like a really nice place and I liked the pictures too. Sounds like the Wayfarer is finding the WAY to happiness despite a setback :)

Gipsy Ing said...

Sometimes the WAY to happiness does not always find us on the path we want to take. But sometimes the path chooses us or on a road less traveled.

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

This post is a treasure. Thank you for sharing your elation.

I must tell you, I am glad I did not get to this blog a minute sooner. Today I watched a movie called "Your Immortal Brain."

In it, Dr. Joe Dispenza discusses his life-long research of people who have spontaneously gone into remission from disease without medical treatment. In his research, he discovered a study that was done with Monks. They hooked their brains up to electrodes and found that their frontal lobes lit up brighter than any they had ever witnessed before. In fact, there is a specific center of the frontal lobe that is responsible for happiness and joy. This spot lit up so brightly, they postulated that he must be the happiest man on earth.

Well, to make a long story short- I would love to see what your frontal lobe looks like- and wonder how bright it was on that particular day.

Gipsy Ing said...

Thank you for sharing the story of the movie. I will make note of the title and look for it at the library. I read an article several years ago on the similiar topic of the location of happiness/joy in the frontal lobe and had commented that Monks had a higher/brighter frontal lobe than seen in the average person.

You know, Kaipo had once said to me that he concluded I was the happiest person on the planet. I don't know about that, though. During one particular conversation he had been talking about getting "high" after drinking (made him feel good/happy). And I had told him why go get high drinking when you could simply get high from being "happy" and not take anything! I remember one of his friends was shocked to find that I was like this (natural state of happiness) without having to take anything.

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Isn't that so sad that people don't understand how to find happiness without drugs? I have so many talented students at my school who drink and do drugs- and then in their journal entries (I take journal ideas from The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron), they explain that they lost out on the opportunity to be truly happy because of the choices they have made--- as if life is over--- and that they have no option now but to continue taking drugs, drinking and being depressed! Ugh! They don't realize how young they are, do they?