17 May 2007

Garden Life

On many afternoons, I work in the garden we have at the house I am living in. It stays in good shape and I actually do not have to do as much gardening as one would think for such a small garden. This picture above is in the back corner. I actually purposely have not done any upkeep in this part as it is all palm or bamboo around this fountain statue. It has definitely grown a bit wild and the plants need to be repotted but then again, this is actually not my garden. It is my landlord's. When he returns, I will ask him about how he envisions the garden. A sample of the flowers grown in the garden. There are a lot of yellow daisies, which I do not like actually. For a garden that is. I do not know why but the flower/plant does not appeal to me. There are also geraniums too. Again not too partial to this plant but the colors are perfect and the ones that climb enhances the colors of the area too. I am amazed how well the roses grow around here. They are so brilliant in colors and smells! Everyone seems to grow roses around here. As one can see there is a lot of green in the garden. The plants seem to thrive as well. Some are still in pots (such as the daisies).
But the main treasure of the garden is the lizards. This is in a pond (below the fountain statue). One thing I had originally planned on was to clean the pond out. But after several weeks I noticed that a lizard was residing here and my plans were continually postponed for the cleaning.
Here is the view of the entire pond. Besides the aesthetic qualities with fallen leaves decomposing and rocks, there are the blue rocks in the bottom, some trash on one side and that black tarp plastic thing in the pond. Also there are mosquito larvae, which brings to mind west nile virus.
If one looks closely, there are lizard(s) in the black plastic tarp. This is their home!! So my cleaning is totally put aside because of my little garden friends. I think there is a baby in the tarp as well. I was seeing a tiny little tail. Very cute. They do not mind me. Probably have gotten used to me and I do not do anything to provoke them but just to sit back and admire them. I think they got a pretty good home actually.
Every day when I arrive home from work, I visit the lizards if only for a minute or so to see what they are up to.

7 comments:

Wayfarer 2oo said...

Hey Ing - definitely a Zen kind of deal! Your presentation also sems a litle mysterious as one can't really get a picture of the overall garden so it creates a lot of interesting possibilities in one's imagination that probably expand well beyond the local environment. I like that! Take care, Wayfarer! LY Dad

JoAnn said...

I really love all your flowers, what a nice garden to do yoga or meditate in, or just sit and read. But the lizards are the best part, a wonderful little lizard family to keep your eye on and enjoy their antics, that is so nice!
Where will the wayfaring gipsy be off to next?

Gipsy Ing said...

Aww... you two (Mom and Dad) are a hoot!!!
I think Brian is into some of the Eastern philosophy because hidden in some of the pots like the bamboo are little Buddha figurines or Japanese characters. I am glad that the pictures gives a mysterious image to it creating imagination to run wild on.

The lizard's water hole is getting drier. Now am not sure what to do... feed it more water for the lizards and create more mosquito larve?

And Mom, you know what the garden and patio looks like. :) Birds come through in the morning or late afternoon hours. Have seen a hummingbird once or twice. It is funny, as I get more accustomed to this area.... I am seeing more and more life. This city is full of life (as in the natural life of creatures and critters).

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

It's so kind of you to allow them to keep their home. Wyatt would love to play in your garden with the lizards!

Gipsy Ing said...

I was thinking of Wyatt when I wrote this blog knowing he would love seeing them. I saw the "baby lizard" tonight. It is getting quite big and now I am starting to wonder what will happen to the family? Will they leave once the baby can fend on its own?

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Hmmm... who knows what the lizards will do. Perhaps they will find a way into your walls and keep you company at night. Then you can fill the pond with clean water, and they can go swimming.

Gipsy Ing said...

Yes, I am interested what they will do next. But I hope they do not stray too far. I enjoy their company.