23 May 2007

Story time

A story today that I read. I thought it was very good. And will share it with you.


THE LEGEND OF THE IRISH HARP

One misty day, a young woman with black hair and the bluest of eyes was walking along the beach. She was idly collecting pretty pebbles and shells. The mists moved in and out from the water as she strolled, softly singing romantic songs to herself. She thought of her handsome husband as she sang.
She had just walked up to a patch of reeds when she heard music sweeter than anything she had ever heard in her life. She pushed past the reeds and there found the skeleton of a whale. The sweet music she was hearing was coming from the skeleton.
As she came along the side of the whale, she discovered that the music was caused by the wind singing ever so sweetly through the bones of the whale. The music was hypnotizing, and before the girl knew it she slumped to the ground and was lulled to sleep.
Her husband came home from his work in the fields expecting to find his young wife in their cozy kitchen brewing him a pot of tea. They enjoyed sharing a quiet cup of tea together at this time of day and telling each other the events of the day.
Time passed and his wife didn't appear, so the man went out to search for her. He started along the beach, because he knew she enjoyed walking there. She must have had such a pleasing walk that she had forgotten how late it was.
He saw her prints in the sand leading out toward the bay and followed them. He heard some unearthly music as he came near a patch of reeds. On the other side of the reeds, he found his dear wife peacefully sleeping besides the skeleton of a whale. He too saw that the enchanting music came from the wind on the whale bones.
The husband gently woke his wife up and together they reveled in the music. When the wind stopped blowing, the music stopped, but not before the husband had observed the principle behind the music.
Back at home he secretly made a harp to imitate those sounds they had heard. When it was finished, he presented it to his wife with a flourish and a love song he sang and played for her. And that is how the first Irish harp came to be.


Is not this so sweet? All I can imagine is the sound of the wind blowing through the whale bones. What music! When I had read the story the first time I was at work and Junnel started talking to me. I did not hear him even when he was about two feet away calling my name repeatedly. I was so mesmerized by the story, all I could envision were the calls and voices of whales in my head. I pluck the strings of my own harp to see if I can picture whale voices through the vibrating strings. And perhaps I should bring the harp to the ocean to see if I can call the whales in! But I have heard the wind go through the harp causing vibrations of the strings. It is a beautiful sound and a bit unearthly.

**Source of story: Livo, Norma J. 1996. Troubadour's Storybag: Musical Folktales of the World. Fulcrum Publishing: Golden, Colorado.

11 comments:

JoAnn said...

Hi,
Wow what a beautiful image this story creats in my mind and I can hear the wind threw the whale bones. Thinking of the music whales sing when they are alive even stirs up a dream of the bleached beached bones singing back out to the sea. I will search for whale bones and listen to the wind when I go on my beach surveys. Thanks for this wonderful story Wayfaring gipsy :)

Gipsy Ing said...

Mom,
I was thinking more of the story. I think whales are truly a creature all of their own. Very powerful, majestic, peaceful, visionary, soulful. They are also so very intelligent. And in some ways exceed the intelligence of humans.

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Beautiful story! I can imagine how this sounds, the unearthly sound of wind playing the strings of an harp.

You are truly reaping a beautiful harvest, Ingrid. Thank you for sharing it!

I do wish to go to "The Spot" with you, speaking of harvests!

Gipsy Ing said...

when I first read the story, it was speaking to me in sorts. I thought, "This is a so Ingrid kind of story."

So tomorrow I will recreate the story in sorts when I go to my favorite cove. I actually hope not to find a beached whale just because I prefer them alive and singing joyously out in the blue water. (I did find a dead pelican though).
I am really thinking to buy one of those lap harps so I can bring it to the beach and sit there playing it. The harp I have now is too big to lug it around in this fashion.
Somewhere in Hermosa Beach is a drum circle. I have seen an ad for a drum circle on the beach by the pier and then an ad for drum circles volunteering for at risk teenagers. So the voices do carry out. A drum would be another good instrument for playing by the ocean to create some of the sounds.

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Wow, a drum circle on the beach- too cool! I would love a lap harp. Are they expensive? I want to get an instrument that is just intrinsically beautiful, no matter what you do. This sounds like it could be such an instrument.

Gipsy Ing said...

Lap harps range about 500 dollars or more. Celtic are good because you can tune the harp to one mode and or rather play in one mode and it sounds good no matter what you play because of "no wrong notes." It is just the technique that needs the working.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this link, but argg it seems to be offline... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please answer to my post if you do!

I would appreciate if a staff member here at gipsying.blogspot.com could post it.

Thanks,
Oliver

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

This is a inquiry for the webmaster/admin here at gipsying.blogspot.com.

May I use some of the information from your blog post right above if I give a link back to this site?

Thanks,
William

Anonymous said...

|
|
|

Anonymous said...

[url=http://longchampsacsa.eklablog.com/]sac longchamps[/url] When you place it near her and she touches it, say a cue word, for example, "target". Then click and treat. Move the item Mulberry Antony Natural Leather Messenger Bag Black for Men,Cheap Mulberry Bags On Sale, Mulberry Bags Outlet, fast delivery. to her left, right or above her and whenever she touches it with her nose out of curiosity, say "target", then click and treat.
[url=http://en.netlog.com/longchamppaschers/blog]sacs longchamps[/url] Reynolds Handi-VacSealer. When you mention the name "Reynolds" the things that come in mind are aluminum foil, cling wraps and other food saver goods that people have been using for a long, long time now. Well, Reynolds does it again with its Highly Appreciated Mulberry Women's Bayswater Leather Clutch Black Bag, cheap and fashion Mulberry handbags with high quality and discount price. Reynolds Handi-VacSealer.
[url=http://longchamppliagea.blog.petitmallblog.jp/]sac longchamp moins cher[/url] This is extended into a frame. There you will get an exquisite collection to choose from. Shopping onlin .. No woman's outfit is complete without a fashion bag. Handbags are today an integral part of women's fashion. They are available in assorted forms, styles, sizes and colors to fit 2013 Mulberry Online Shop on Sale Discount Price Mulberry Outlet Mini Alexa Leather Satchel Brown Bag well made different occasions. You can tie the scarf in an amount of ways. This material is referred to as the gabardine, which has long been very first utilized by army individuals and after on employed through the actors in Hollywood. Christians do not have to by style editors specializing in fashion; do not have to spend homage towards the brand's style weblog assessment invitation. It is W33cm×H40cm×D3cm. with this bag, you don't have to worry about that you don't have enough space to hold your extra things. With only one bag, it can solve all of the problems.

Anonymous said...

Between us speaking, in my opinion, it is obvious. I would not wish to develop this theme.
I think, that you commit an error. I can defend the position. Write to me in PM, we will discuss.
I understand this question. It is possible to discuss.
This topic is simply matchless
It absolutely agree with the previous phrase

[url=http://mvpmichaelkorsoutlet2.soup.io/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://spaces.covers.com/blog/shenenmaoyik][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyiqwe.gamingblog.com.br/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyizzz.sport.fr/2013/01/19/what-bargain-consumers-ought-to-know-about-handbag-outlet/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyizzz.gamingblog.com.br/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]